Programmable thermostats are becoming a standard in homes across the nation. Many are finding that merely changing to a programmable thermostat offers many benefits to their wallet. In addition to being a great smart home device, programmable thermostats provide numerous advantages to AC systems. Let’s take a look at some of these benefits, as well as different types and options available.
Perhaps the most significant benefit of a programmable thermostat, and the main reason why many customers switch to one, is its cost savings. With rising energy bills, the best way to counteract them is by reducing energy usage. Programmable thermostats allow you to adjust the temperature to meet comfort needs. Depending on the season, you can save about 2% of your energy bill for every degree the thermostat moves up or down. Also, you can create a schedule that stays in place while you’re not at home.
A big plus about programmable thermostats is that they can maintain a consistent temperature throughout the home. Instead of having the air conditioner run on high during the warmer seasons, programmable thermostats can run at a constant level and vice-versa with colder seasons. This prevents major hot or cold spots in different areas of the home.
Programmable thermostats come with advanced features. Some include Wi-Fi capability, mobile device syncing, Google or Alexa compatibility, Bluetooth capability, and even the ability to work with your local weather forecast.
Zoned Heating and Cooling
If you have multiple climate zones within your home, a programmable thermostat can keep your home running smoothly. With controls in each zone, you can customize each climate throughout your home.
Optimizes Your HVAC System
Pairing your HVAC system with a programmable thermostat helps your system operate more efficiently. If you have an older HVAC system that may be nearing the end of its life, you can prolong it by installing a programmable thermostat. It’ll allow the system to reduce its workload to operate at its best.
With programmable thermostats, you can spend less time adjusting the temperature. With manual thermostats, you have to set the temperature during different times of the day. When it’s time to leave, you have to make more adjustments before you go. After a while, it becomes very tedious. However, a programmable thermostat can eliminate all of that. Once you set your thermostat, you can forget about it and go on with your day, knowing that it’s operating effectively.
Different Types of Programmable Thermostats
As you might already know, Google’s Nest Learning Thermostat is probably the most popular programmable smart thermostat on the market. However, smart thermostats are not the only type of programmable thermostats. Here are some other types that you might not be aware of:
- 7-Day Thermostats: This type of programmable thermostat works well for homes with a different heating and cooling schedule every day of the week. For example, this type may work for families or individuals with hectic schedules. It is also the most flexible type of programmable thermostat.
- 5+2 Thermostats: This type is for those with the typical five-day work week and two-day weekend. Essentially, it works for those who want one schedule for the work week and a different schedule for the weekend.
- Smart Thermostat: Smart thermostats are the most well-known type of programmable thermostat, and they are Wi-Fi enabled with the ability to be programmed from a smartphone or computer. This type works well for those with irregular schedules or those who may forget to set their thermostat. Most smart thermostats come with an app for easy programming when you’re away from home. Also, they allow the homeowner to track their energy savings.
- Learning Smart Thermostat: This is a smart thermostat that learns the daily habits in your home and self-programs a schedule. As with smart thermostats, they are Wi-Fi enabled and can be programmed remotely through a smartphone or computer. For those with a regular schedule and don’t want to bother setting it themselves, this is a good option.
- Heat-Pump Specific Thermostats: These thermostats are specifically made to work with heat-pump systems. Energy usage, while using heat, can negate programmable thermostats’ energy-saving benefits with heat-pump systems.
Now that you know the benefits and types of programmable thermostats, what are some of the best programmable thermostats on the market?
Google Nest Learning Thermostat
The Google Nest Learning Thermostat is one of the most popular programmable smart thermostats. As its name suggests, it learns a household’s heating and cooling preferences to lower energy usage and save money.
It comes equipped with geofencing, meaning the thermostat can lower room temperatures once someone leaves their home.
Starting at $249, the Nest thermostats are Wi-Fi enabled and adjust temperatures according to the local weather forecast. According to their site, Google Nest has saved people an average of 10% to 15% on heating and cooling bills. As a result, in under two years, the thermostat will pay for itself. This is a good option for those customers who want a reliable and high-quality product.
Ecobee Smart Thermostat
The Ecobee Smart Thermostat is the first of its kind to integrate Alexa. When you’re close to the thermostat, you can ask the Amazon assistant to adjust the system to your liking. You can also ask Alexa to do things such as playing music or adding items to your to-do list, without being close to the device.
Ecobee also has Bluetooth and Spotify Connect, so you can easily play music from a compatible speaker in your home.
Also priced at $249, the Ecobee is similar to the Nest — it can adjust your heating and cooling throughout your home. You can also add up to 32 sensors around your home to help with your heating and cooling. Also, Ecobee states that it can reduce annual heating and cooling costs by 23%.
Honeywell Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
The Lyric T5 comes loaded with various ecosystems, including Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Cortana, and more. Like the Google Nest, it also comes equipped with geofencing technology to keep track of your smartphone’s location. Its intelligent comfort control automatically determines if your home needs heating or cooling to provide quick and efficient comfort. Also, it comes equipped with smart alerts to notify you of maintenance and safety needs.
The Lyric T5 is priced at $149 and is ENERGY STAR™ certified. It’s designed to use less energy while meeting energy efficiency guidelines. The thermostat has an app, Total Connect Comfort, which allows for easy control while away from home.
Programmable thermostats are a must-have device for every home. Beyond energy savings, programmable thermostats offer enhanced functionality and control. As a result, you can maintain and enjoy a cozy and comfortable atmosphere throughout your home.