Keeping up on the hottest trends in the plumbing industry will give your business a leg up on the competition that may not be paying close attention.
The bulk of the top trends of the plumbing industry center around smart technology, water efficiency and environmentally-friendly practices.
After reading this article, you will:
- Explore the latest smart technology and features you can offer to customers
- Discover the benefits and profit potential of water efficiency
- Cash in on copper alternatives
Take a look at the the top 2023 trends in the plumbing industry:
1. Smart Plumbing Technology and Fixtures
Plumbing technology continues to evolve—allowing customers to track water usage, identify temperature levels, receive leakage alerts and gain insight on overall data analytics.
Also, new fixtures are becoming standard in the construction of homes and businesses, including:
- Smart toilets: Advanced sensor technologies allowing cleaning, disinfection, heated seats and automatic flushing. This market is continually growing year to year.
- Smart water heaters: Have the capabilities of providing your home with hot water when you need it and turned off when you don’t. This is accomplished by measuring your hot water consumption patterns. They save energy and provide leak detection. A smart water heater can save around $200 a year in energy savings.
- Touchless sinks and faucets. These fixtures use less water and prevent spreading of germs and bacteria. It’s also more convenient.
- Leak detectors: Nearly 1 in 50 homes file a water damage claim each year. A leak detection system monitors the water flow through a pipeline. If it recognizes a leak then it can automatically close a valve.
2. Skilled Labor and Materials Shortage
Like all the trades post pandemic, there’s been a shortage of workers and a shortness of building materials resulting in higher prices for customers. In fact, the shortage of plumbers cost the US economy $33 billion in 2022 and is supposed to escalate.
Concentrating on hiring the best employees is a must when dealing with a tight market. Exploring alternative materials can also help your business.
3. Green Friendly Plumbing
Environmentally friendly plumbing practices are becoming more mainstream. This includes the use of renewable energy sources for water heating, as well as the installation of greywater systems for irrigation and toilet flushing.
Greywater recycling is gently used water that may appear slightly dirty; however, the water is safe and environmentally beneficial to use.
The need for accessible plumbing fixtures is growing as the population ages and people with disabilities require more accessible bathrooms and kitchens.
Fixtures that may need upgrading include:
- Hands-free faucet
- Shower with removable head
- Raising the sink and toilet height
5. Copper Alternatives
Copper, which is commonly used in plumbing, is becoming more expensive. As a result, there’s been an increase in the use of alternative materials, such as PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) and PVC (polyvinyl chloride).
Let’s consider the pros and cons of both:
Pros: PEX is flexible, which makes it easier to install in tight spaces. It is resistant to corrosion and has a long lifespan. Also, PEX is more affordable than copper and is becoming increasingly popular in residential plumbing applications.
Cons: PEX can be damaged by UV light. Which means, unless it is properly protected, it should not be used in outdoor applications. Some people also have concerns about the safety of PEX, as it is made from a synthetic polymer. Although, it has been deemed safe for use in plumbing by many health and safety organizations.
Pros: PVC is more affordable than copper and is easy to work with. It is also resistant to corrosion and can last a long time. PVC is commonly used in drain, waste and vent (DWV) systems, as well as irrigation systems.
Cons: PVC can become brittle over time and may crack or break, especially in colder temperatures. PVC also releases toxic fumes when it burns, which can be a concern in the event of a fire.
Bonus Trend! Top Plumbing Software
When a call comes in that a pipe burst, or a leak is discovered, plumbing professionals have to be on top of their game to handle these emergencies. That’s where the top plumbing software is critical.
The #1 plumbing software is rich in features that can make you more profitable and save valuable time. Here are some of the top features to consider when purchasing the best plumbing software for your business.
Performance Dashboards: Shows a snapshot of your business, including sales, service agreements and profitability.
- Customer Management: Review all completed jobs and confirm what equipment your crew used. Also, use images to show homeowners what problems exist.
- QuickBooks Integration: Every transaction flows into QuickBooks—completely eliminating double data entry.
- Service Agreements: A complete picture of when service agreements are due for renewal, billing and scheduling. Send reminders and invoices automatically.
- Price Presentation: Price books help techs sell additional equipment and services.
- Quotes and Invoices: Reduce unpaid invoices, get paid faster and identify your top performers.
- Mobile CRM: Run your business from anywhere, create work orders on-the-go and dispatch techs from your mobile device.
Want to save money and time? Schedule a personalized FieldEdge demo today!
You Are Up To Date With the Top Trends in the Plumbing Industry!
Use these top 2023 trends in the plumbing industry to explore how to better serve your customers. Remember, more options usually translates into higher profits and happier customers.
Here a quick recap of a few key takeaways:
- Staying updated on the latest trends in the plumbing industry allows your business to pivot into other profitable areas.
- Environmentally friendly plumbing and green plumbing are both really popular right now. It may be time to explore more information on these topics to ensure your business is prepared.
Use these key insights into the top 2023 trends in the plumbing industry to increase profits, scale your business and make this another phenomenal year!