Client poaching is a common problem in the HVAC industry, where competitors try to snatch clients from their rivals. However, using our expert advice, you can fight these “HVAC client stealers” and keep your clients for many years to come!
It’s hard enough to gain clients, so you want to make sure you do everything in your power to keep them.
Using these proven strategies, you can fight HVAC client stealers by:
- Cultivating long-lasting, meaningful relationships with clients
- Providing clients with unique value they can’t get elsewhere
- Rendering reliable, premium quality services
- Properly positioning your prices
- Securing sensitive client data
- Promptly replying to clients
Here are seven pro strategies that HVAC companies can use to fight against pesky HVAC client stealers:
1. Build Strong Relationships with Clients
Building strong relationships with clients helps build loyalty and makes them less likely to switch to a competitor. This can be achieved by providing:
- Regular follow-ups
- Personalized services
- Excellent customer service
Taking care of existing clients is critical to running a profitable HVAC business. In fact, gaining a new customer can cost five times more than retaining a current customer. In addition, increasing customer retention by just 5% can increase profits significantly.
Furthermore, the stats are staggering when selling to an existing customer (versus new prospects): In fact, a business has a 60-70% chance of selling to an existing customer and only a 5-20% chance of selling to a new prospect.
2. Offer Unique Value Proposition
One of the best ways to beat HVAC client stealers is to offer a unique value proposition (UVP) that differentiates you from the competition.
Remember, your UVP tells prospects why they should buy from you instead of a competitor.
Take a look at a few examples of great UVPs:
- Offering customized services
- Same-day appointments
- Extended warranties
- Better service agreements than the competition
A UVP is often a short, memorable statement that summarizes the most compelling benefit of the product or service.
The best UVP clearly communicates:
- The value a customer will receive
- Any problems the product or service solves
- What makes your services different from the competition
A good UVP should be clear, concise and focused on the customer. It should address the needs and desires of the target audience and emphasize the benefits that are most important to your business. A strong UVP differentiates your business from the competition, increases customer loyalty and drives sales.
3. Focus on Quality and Reliability
By focusing on delivering high-quality services and reliable products, you can fight HVAC client stealers by building a strong reputation in the industry.
Take a look at a few easy ways to beat HVAC client stealers:
- Use high-quality equipment
- Hire highly-skilled technicians
- Provide ongoing training
If customers feel you provide great service, they are unlikely to leave for the business down the street. Also, it allows you to charge a premium price.
4. Monitor Competitors and Offer Competitive Pricing
Keeping up with the Joneses isn’t a bad idea. However, you should keep an eye on the competition’s pricing and marketing strategies to stay ahead of the game by offering similar or better services. This could include offering promotions, discounts or other incentives.
A popular tactic of HVAC client stealers is to offer a big discount to lure your customers away. It’s usually a limited time offer, especially in a down economy.
Monitoring your competition is a solid strategy. Though, don’t match a crazy offer. In the long run, better services and products are the ultimate secrets to long-lasting success.
5. Protect Customer Data
Protecting customer data is crucial in preventing poaching. This is why it’s important to take steps to protect customer data and prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
This could include implementing security protocols, training employees on data privacy and using secure HVAC software.
6. Respond Quickly to Customer Complaints and Reviews
When a customer has a complaint, it is important to respond quickly and address the issue as soon as possible. This can help to build trust and loyalty with the customer and prevent them from switching to a competitor.
Responding to negative reviews and offering a solution to their complaint may allow you to keep a disgruntled customer.
7. Use The Best HVAC Software to Keep Clients!
With the #1 HVAC software under your belt, you can increase client retention and maximize profits.
When your HVAC business runs on FieldEdge, it’s a better experience for your employees and customers. It’s easier to offer options, pay for the service or equipment on-the-spot and enjoy a better customer relationship—keeping them coming back for more!
Here are just some of the dynamic features that are sure to beat those pesky HVAC client stealers:
- Customer Management: Review all completed jobs and confirm what equipment your techs used. Also, use images to show homeowners what problems exist.
- QuickBooks Integration: Every transaction flows into QuickBooks—completely eliminating double data entry. It streamlines your cash flow and allows the customers to get invoiced and pay right at the jobsite.
- Service Agreements: A complete picture of when service agreements are due for renewal, billing and scheduling. Send reminders and invoices automatically. Service agreements are key to keeping customers satisfied and protected from emergencies.
- Price Presentation: Price books help techs sell additional equipment and services. When a tech can show the customer the good/better/best options on their phone or tablet, the customer feels like they are making the decision and the pressure is off.
- Quotes & Invoices: Reduce unpaid invoices, get paid faster and identify your top performers. Customers just want the hassle to go away and if your techs can make that happen, they will continue to be your customer. Conversely, if they have a bad experience and the whole process is disorganized and unclear then they will shop around and jump ship for a better customer experience.
- Mobile CRM: Run your business from anywhere, create work orders on-the-go and dispatch techs from your mobile device. When you can connect from anywhere, it is more convenient for the business and more efficient for the customer.
Learn more about rebates and SEER2 compliance here:
FieldEdge can help you keep your customers by providing an excellent customer experience. Book your FREE personalized demo today!
Beat HVAC Client Stealers and Increase Retention Using These Pro Strategies
Armed with these new bulletproof strategies your customers aren’t going anywhere. Take care of the customer, and your business will take care of itself.
Here are a few key takeaways for out-hustling HVAC client stealers:
- Build strong, long-term relationships with clients, while keeping a close eye on the competition.
- Use customer feedback to improve your quality of service.
- Focus on quality and reliable service. Provide service that you would like to receive.
By implementing these expert, insider strategies, you can conquer HVAC client stealers and establish a strong, loyal customer base who is committed to your brand.
Related: Gain Loyal Customers Through HVAC Maintenance Contracts